Martin's Four

Heidi's living with three boys!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A First!!

On Monday Ian went pee-pee on the potty for the very first time EVER!! As I was putting him down for his nap he announced that he had to go poo. I didn't really believe him, he had filled his diaper that morning already, but I asked if he wanted to go sit on the potty. He said yes and then asked me to get him a "wheel car". We bought a big pack of Hot Wheels for him as rewards for going potty. They sit on top of the cupboards in the kitchen and he gets very upset that we don't give them to him unless he's willing to go potty. So I brought down the wheel cars and placed them on the counter in the bathroom but told him no car unless there was actual pee in the toilet. I assumed that this was just a standard nap delay tactic. It took 20 minutes, and every once in a while he would say "Get down, wheel car Mommy?" Then I'd ask if he had gone pee, he'd say no, so I'd offer the clean diaper and naptime. Then he'd say no, go pee-pee. Then we'd wait some more. Eventually there was peeing. I could hardly believe it! There was much celebrating, clapping and cheering. He announced "I di' it Mommy!" I was so happy. I think he was too. He picked out a really cool red truck and still carries it everywhere, even to bed.





There was a lot of gymnastics happening on the seat while we waited.
So far, when asked if he wants to go pee-pee on the potty and get another wheel car, he says "no", as usual. But I'm happy that we've made a start, and that someday soon I may only have one child in diapers.

((sigh)) Another sign that he's growing up so fast.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home